Wednesday, February 14, 2007

 

Pscyhology of overestimating

I had been wondering when Rhonda would need her first oil change.
It seemed like too much time had gone by.
Yesterday as I drove home a little icon of a wrench suddenly lit up and the display said: Oil life 15%

This morning, I located the nearest Honda dealer, Honda of Santa Monica, and called to ask whether I needed an appointment for my oil change. He said I could just drive in. He said the amount of time it would take depends on when I come in. Then I asked how much it would cost. Talk about sticker shock! He said $55 for an oil change.
Oh well, I decided it was the price I had to pay for a hightech car.

I brought Rhonda in this morning. They were very nice. I asked why the oil change was so expensive. He said it is because they use a special oil in the hybirds. Just as I expected.
But then when I got the bill it was "only" $40. I felt very pleased that they charged so "little" when in fact the oil changes on the Neon used to be under $20.

It is amazing how my expectations about the $55 price changed my attitude toward the actual price.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]