Wednesday, February 28, 2007

 

Art Class

My glory days in art occurred when I was in second grade. I was one of the first place winners (there were 3) in a contest to design a safety poster about looking both ways before crossing the street.
Since then the decline in my artistic activity has been precipitous.
I decided to change that so I enrolled in a 2-night community college art class where we get to find out about basic materials and try to discover our inner artist.
I loved it.
The first class was Monday. She went over basic fine art drawing equipment (as opposed to graphic art).
This includes types of charcoal, pencils, pastels, oil crayons and conte crayons. She also explained the types of drawing papers and erasers and she gave us specific advice about how to store and carry our supplies.
Then we got to do our first drawing. She brought lots of paper, and drawing materials. She had us create a still life using stuff we had with us. I used a water bottle, sunglasses, box of altoids, a hairbrush and my cell phone.
It was so much fun! My drawing is pretty terrible but I had so much fun doing it.
I can't wait for the next class when we learn about acrylic paint and oil paint on canvas. We get to paint a self-portrait in oil on canvas. What a kick!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]