Saturday, January 20, 2007

 

Impressions of New Zealand

The natural beauty of New Zealand is spectacular.
I loved the 16-hour days.
33.5 miles in 4 days on the Milford track was haaaarrrrdd! but really beautiful too.
The first day (to Clinton hut) was only 3 miles. It was the only rainy day.
The second day was a gradual uphill to Mintaro hut.
The third day was over the pass to Dumpling hut. The uphill was not as bad as I expected. Mackinnon pass was very windy and cold with great views to the valleys on both side. It was the downhill over big rocks that really made me suffer.
We took the side trip to Sutherland Falls. Enormous and very beautiful. I kept thinking that there are not that many people who have had the opportunity to see it because it is so inaccessible.
The last day, 18k to Sandfly Point by 2 pm, was the hardest for me. My blisters were very painful and my muscles were so stiff. I figured if I stopped I might never get going again. I decided that the only way to get to the boat on time was to power on through. I actually arrived almost 2 hours before the boat. Now I had a new dilemma, where to wait for the boat. The view of Milford Sound at Sandfly Point was lovely. A beautiful sunny day. The sandflies were just as bad as everyone predicted. The moment you stood still they would descend. There was a nice shelter except that it was broiling hot in there.
After taking off my boots to soothe my miserable feet I went walking in the frigid Sound but I was chewed by the sandflies.
I ended up spending most of the waiting time cooking in the shelter feeling pleased with myself for accomplishing the 33 miles.

A gorgeous hike. It was definitely worth the blisters and the muscle aches and pains (even the sandflies).

Tuataras, kiwis, weka, moa, fjords, glaciers--it's hard to imagine a more interesting place.
Volcanoes, waterfalls, sheep everywhere!
It makes one want to open a mexican restaurant in Queenstown!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]