Tuesday, January 30, 2007

 

another new semester

Today is the first day of class at CSUN. I will be teaching 2 sections of 417, one today and one tomorrow.
All is not well with my teaching career.
Back in November I was told that I would lose one English course to a "full-time" faculty member.
Then, a week ago I learned that my remaining fully-enrolled English course was being given to another "3-year entitled part-time instructor". His course was under-enrolled and was being cancelled. Since he is entitled to a certain number of units he exercised his right to take over another course from a hapless lower-seniority instructor. (My entitlement is only 1 year. His trumps mine.)
Apparently, my course was the only one which did not overlap with other courses this instructor was teaching so I lose.
Economic catastrophe!

It's time to stop taking my teaching career seriously and look for work that is reliable.
Why am I doing all of this work when I am paid such a pittance?

Comments:
For the same reason I do social work... You will never be paid enough or get any credit for what you do... But if you are not there someone will need you terribly. And they will fall aside because you were not there to help them.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]